Hello fellow DR350 enthusiasts!

for our english-speaking guests - english only. The place to discuss any DR350 specific technical / mechanical /repair / preparation questions you like, or answer others questions if you can.
Andy.I
Re: Hello fellow DR350 enthusiasts!

Beitrag von Andy.I »

Hi Andreas,

What's the trick with the fuel hose? I had assumed that the problem was that the tank was so designed that some fuel in the tank was below the fuel in the float chamber so the remaining fuel wouldn't flow...

Regarding your advice on using main roads etc - have you seen the roads in Russia? :glotz: While the "main" main roads have passable surfaces, when there are road works the works are bypassed with what is essentially a loop surfaced with rubble and any road not a "main" main road will challenge a 4x4 or dual-sport motorcycle. Also, fuel stops outside the city are few and far between so you do indeed need to fill up at every opportunity.

Regarding using lightweight gear, this isn't a problem for me as I have a history of fell-walking and weight reduction is as important, if not more so, when you carry it yourself rather than strapping it onto the bike! It was the weight of my F650GS with packed panniers and tank bag that actually attracted to the DR350. I just don't understand how people use the R1200GS off-road as they'd need a crane to get one out of a ditch! :D

Regards,
Andy.
Andy.I - DR350 Newbie - R1200ST - F650GS
Staubteufelchen
Advanced Member
Danksagung erhalten: 19 Mal

Beitrag von Staubteufelchen »

Hi Andi,

check Walter Colebatch's ride reports like Sibirsky extrem at ADV (adventure rider) to get some impressions and contact him for your remaining questions.

The Carb fuel intake (in stock condition) is above the petcock-outlet and your fuel-hose has to make an up-curve to connect to the Acerbis tank. So the fuel level too has to be above the carb-fuel inlet plus the highest point of the fuel-hose to feed the bowl. By turning it 90° you win access to the fuel below the highest point of the fuel-hose, becaus you can route the fuelline nearly horizontal. Be carefull when you turn the fuel-inlet at your carb (some carbs need additional heat to let you turn the pipe).
Well, a long description in a foreign language, but I hope you understand what I mean!

Regards, Andreas
Andy.I

Beitrag von Andy.I »

Wow, you've really opened my eyes to a new world Andreas - thank you. :good:

All my life I've been involved and primarily interested in the engineering side of motorcycling, while long-distance travelling came second. Over the years I've explored a large area of Europe by motorcycle but these people on ADV amaze me. It makes my hankering of riding to Tula seem tame indeed - despite my girlfriend and her daughter ranting at me that Russian country people are primitive, lawless and will murder me. :rolleyes: :glotz: :D

After pondering over your words I think I understand what you are telling me about fuel - if the fuel inlet on the carb points upwards then the fuel needs to flow from the tank down the fuel pipe but then upwards and then down again onto the fuel inlet (which points up). As a result when the level of fuel in the tank reaches the same level as the uppermost bend in the fuel pipe it will no longer flow. The solution is to rotate the inlet so it points downwards and there is therefore no high point in the fuel delivery pipe. From pictures on the web of the DR350's original carb it looks as if the inlet does indeed point upwards but it's a pressed fit buy with care and the application of heat it can be rotated through 180 degrees to point downward, thus eliminating the high point in the fuel pipe. Have I got this right?
Ensomhet
Advanced Member
Danksagung erhalten: 3 Mal

Beitrag von Ensomhet »

Andy.I hat geschrieben: 27.12.2020 19:28 This is the trailer that I particularly like but it's so damned expensive at $995 plus the fuel containers, the plastic cargo box, shipping to the UK and VAT:
https://kipmoto.com/pages/sherpax
That trailer looks actually quite tough. But anyway... I can't really believe, that such a trailer could be any better than having a lot of luggage on the bike itself - handling wise. If you want to be able to ride really far between fuel stops than maybe a custom fuel tank from this guy may be an option: http://www.enduro-manufaktur.ch/tangebot.html
That 50 Liter tank on the DR350 would give you a range between 1000 - 1250 km.
But I would only go for that custom huge tank, if there is no other way. A fitted 22 liter tank from a XR650L + 2 x 5 liter fuel cans can give you also range of 640 - 800. A 600 km fuel range should be enough for any country in the time we live in. I don't really know much about Russia. Are the distances between fuel station really that big? More than 500 km?
Andy.I hat geschrieben: 29.12.2020 20:27 After pondering over your words I think I understand what you are telling me about fuel - if the fuel inlet on the carb points upwards then the fuel needs to flow from the tank down the fuel pipe but then upwards and then down again onto the fuel inlet (which points up). As a result when the level of fuel in the tank reaches the same level as the uppermost bend in the fuel pipe it will no longer flow. The solution is to rotate the inlet so it points downwards and there is therefore no high point in the fuel delivery pipe. From pictures on the web of the DR350's original carb it looks as if the inlet does indeed point upwards but it's a pressed fit buy with care and the application of heat it can be rotated through 180 degrees to point downward, thus eliminating the high point in the fuel pipe. Have I got this right?
I know the issue with the 16 liter Acerbis tank and the stock carb as well. You got it almost right. You don't have to rotate the inlet through 180 degrees. Just 90 dregrees, so that the inlet is pointing in driving direction is enough.

By the way... I really like your idea of riding into Russia with a motorbike. :good:
Even if I would prefer warmer countries... :lol:
Staubteufelchen
Advanced Member

Hi Andy,

rotate 90° towards the petcock. You have to make sure, that the fuelline can't touch the hot engine.

Happy wrenching,
Andreas
Andy.I

Beitrag von Andy.I »

"That trailer looks actually quite tough. But anyway... I can't really believe, that such a trailer could be any better than having a lot of luggage on the bike itself - handling wise."

I have come across several comments by riders towing a trailer that they handle so well that it's easy to forget you have one attached! With the DR350's kerb weight of about 140kg you could legally pull two thirds of this, which is over 90kg and I would rather have this trailing behind me instead of strapped to the bike - my BMW panniers are limited to carrying 10kg each and I consider top boxes to be the devil's work and shouldn't be allowed within a country mile of a motorcycle!

The distances betweeen fuel stops aren't that far - probably the best was to describe it is that when I first went there it reminded me of first driving in the DDR shortly after the wall came down.

"By the way... I really like your idea of riding into Russia with a motorbike. :good:
Even if I would prefer warmer countries... :lol:"

I take it you've never been to Russia in the summer! :D

My thanks to both of you for the advice - I think I'll look around for a 16l tank but I'll continue to investigate trailers because it will be difficult to expand the fuel capacity of the F650GS - although I'm currently thinking about carrying 5l fuel cannisters attached to radiator protection bars.
Ensomhet
Advanced Member
Danksagung erhalten: 3 Mal

Beitrag von Ensomhet »

Andy.I hat geschrieben: 30.12.2020 11:42
I have come across several comments by riders towing a trailer that they handle so well that it's easy to forget you have one attached! With the DR350's kerb weight of about 140kg you could legally pull two thirds of this, which is over 90kg and I would rather have this trailing behind me instead of strapped to the bike - my BMW panniers are limited to carrying 10kg each and I consider top boxes to be the devil's work and shouldn't be allowed within a country mile of a motorcycle!

The distances betweeen fuel stops aren't that far - probably the best was to describe it is that when I first went there it reminded me of first driving in the DDR shortly after the wall came down.
It seems that you really want to buy such a trailer. ;)
I wouldn't really know what to take with me that doesn't fit into saddle bags + dry bag. Except from extra fuel of course, but that seems to be not that big of a problem in Russia either.
Anyway. If you want to use such a trailer - have fun with it. ;)
Andy.I hat geschrieben: 30.12.2020 11:42 I take it you've never been to Russia in the summer! :D
Hm, you're right. :D I know almost nothing about Russia. When I was writing that, I didn't thought about how big Russia actually is and it is not everywhere that cold in Russia. :rolleyes: I guess there a several different climate zones across Russia... It's so HUGE! :D
Andy.I hat geschrieben: 30.12.2020 11:42 My thanks to both of you for the advice - I think I'll look around for a 16l tank but I'll continue to investigate trailers because it will be difficult to expand the fuel capacity of the F650GS - although I'm currently thinking about carrying 5l fuel cannisters attached to radiator protection bars.
You're welcome! :)
I think two 5l fuel cannisters are the more simple way. If you have the money left, then just try the trailer. Otherwise just go for the cannisters. They are way more simple and as long they are empty they weigh almost nothing. I would also be curios in testing a bike with such a trailer in offroad conditions, but I don't know... I'm not that excited about these trailers as you are. :D
Andy.I

Beitrag von Andy.I »

Happy New Year everybody! :thumbup:

"It seems that you really want to buy such a trailer."

I can see pros and cons but I can't deny that I'm very curious about it. I investigated what I would need to do to make it legal in the UK. For a single trailer it's not too onerous although I haven't looked at the cost yet. For a manufacturer to apply for full vehicle type approval it would be a huge task. Howeveer, there are in-between levels where small quantities can be approved on the back of previous approval of an identical machine.

"I guess there a several different climate zones across Russia... It's so HUGE!"

It's the size of Russia (nine time zones from Kaliningrad to Kamchatka) that causes the extreme weather of a continental landmass without the reducing effect of the sea. We have the perception that Siberia is a frozen waste but it gets unbearably hot in summer, along with most of Russia.

These fuel canisters are quite interesting. I've been looking at Rotopax which are expensive but just discovered Long-Haul, which appear to be a much more acceptable price if you're prepared to accept some limitations - they don't look as if they are lockable and I haven't seen a fitting to double them up yet either.
Staubteufelchen
Advanced Member

Hi Andy,

take a look (I promise you, it's worth your time) at the ride reports from the "mongolian offroad people" at ADV, before you decide to use the trailer...

Regards,
Andreas
Andy.I

Beitrag von Andy.I »

Hi Andreas,

That's an extremely impressive adventure and what I want to do doesn't approach that in any way whatsoever! :glotz:

However, from videos I have observed and reports I have read there seems to be a concensus that gettting the load low down in a trailer is very beneficial. I've found another dual-sport trailer here: http://www.spincargo.com/

This looks to be a more sophisticated design with lots of adjustments possible, with designed-in street-oriented lights etc. However, this is a long way away - I need to get hold of the bike first and then rebuild it!

My friend has sent me some pictures - let's see if I can post them here: http://pstpro.co.uk/private/index.php?album=DR350

As you can see, it has some surface rust but nothing that grit blasting and powder coating, bead blasting and electro=-plating won't put right.

Regards,
Andy.
Antworten